Monday, December 12, 2011

My Winter Hair Regimen?

Wow...I was supposed to write this post last week.  My little Sis asked me, "What is your winter hair regimen?"  I had to ask myself.... What IS my winter regimen?  Do I REALLY have one?  That question is still up in the air.  Since my BC in September, I can't say that I've made any significant changes to my hair care regimen.  I believe the way I take care of my hair now is good enough for the winter months.  Even with relaxed hair I never switched my routine to coincide with the change of the seasons.  As far as cleansing and conditioning are concerned I shampoo, condition, and deep condition my hair once a week on Sundays.  Deep conditioning weekly is a new thing that I didn't do with relaxed hair. I usually apply my deep conditioner, put on a plastic conditioning cap, and sit under my bonnet dryer for 30mins.  Deep conditioning is very beneficial in moisturizing and strengthening your hair IF DONE CORRECTLY. After reading a recent FAQ in a CurlyNikki.com newsletter I may not be deep conditioning my hair correctly.  Below is the question and answer which leads me to this conclusion.  To read the FAQ in its entirety, click on the title link following this excerpt. 

I like sitting under the dryer. Is there any harm?

Yes, sitting under a bonnet dryer for long periods of time with conditioner in your hair can cause harm. The instructions on your conditioner tell you the safest way to use the product. Studies show that preservatives and other chemicals in cosmetic products can cause eczema and a type of alopecia called telogen effluvium.

We’re used to thinking of eczema as a skin condition that runs in families, but frequent exposure to cosmetic chemicals can cause a type of eczema called “acute contact dermatitis”. Symptoms of acute contact dermatitis include itching, bumps, tenderness, and dry patches. Studies show that acute contact dermatitis on the scalp leads to a form of short-term alopecia called telogen effluvium. The condition causes excess hair shedding for up to 6 months.

When you leave a conditioner on longer than the recommend time you may be increasing your exposure to cosmetic chemicals that have been linked to eczema, alopecia, and more serious health problems like cancer. Adding heat increases your exposure even more. 

FAQs- Deep Conditioning and Natural Hair Posted by CURLYNIKKI


OK... I sit under a bonnet dryer even though my deep conditioner does not require the use of heat. I've also sat under the drying longer than the specified conditioning time. Could this be the reason I'm battling a small dry, flaky patch in the front of my hair? I will follow the directions as written on my deep conditioner from now on and see if there are any changes. This may or may not be the sole culprit. Another reason I believe I could be having this dry, flaking issue is because I don't oil my scalp like I use to when my hair was relaxed. I use to oil my scalp once a week and I didn't have any issues with flakes. So, right now I've begun to apply more oil to the sections of my scalp that tend to itch and flake. I will monitor the condition of my scalp with these changes.

After washing and conditioning my hair I apply oil as a sealant. Right now my go-to oil is coconut oil. I like coconut oil because it is light on my hair and it doesn't leave my hair feeling greasy like olive oil tends to do. Don't get me wrong, I love and use olive oil as well. I read an article not too long ago on the benefits and the differences of natural oils we use on our hair. After reading through the oils listed, coconut oil remains my favorite. You can read this article by clicking on the title link below. 

Natural Oils in Hair Products

Posted by CURLYNIKKI
by Tonya Mckay via Naturallycurly.com

The second half of my "winter regimen" would be my protective style. Right now I'm still in the TWA stage of my hair growth so I don't have many options of protective styling that would hide my ends. The style that I've been doing which I consider protective is finger coils. I love finger coils because they are so easy to create and require minimal manipulation. You can see a picture of my finger coils in my previous blog. At the end of the week I separate and fluff my coils using my fingers to create what I call a coil-out. LOL... this is my take on a twist out or braid out. 

Coil-out
So, there you have it. This is how I am maintaining my curls through the winter months.  Now, will my regimen change when the weather gets warmer...I don't know.   That's a question I look forward to answering in the future.   


Thanks for reading my blog and please subscribe :)
Peace & Blessings...
Natural4Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment