Friday, February 10, 2012

Good Hair, Gond Bad Pt.2

At the end of Good Hair, Gone Bad Pt.1 I said that I would examine and compare the ingredients  in the  Jane Carter's Scalp Nourishing Serum with the other products in my hair arsenal.  Well, I did just that. My findings are not scientific but this is my way of determining what may be the cause of my irritation.  I compiled the ingredients list for 42 products that I have in my hair arsenal.  Forty-two......YES, I know!  When reading ingredients only the first five or six ingredients impact the formula’s effectiveness. With that said, the  ingredients of the Jane Carter's Scalp Nourishing Serum are as follows:

Pure essential oils of: grapefruit, cedarwood, rosemary, ylang ylang, palmarosa, nettle, vitamins A,D,E in a hybrid safflower base. 

The first 6 ingredients are pure essential oils that have been added to a hybrid safflower base which looks to be the main ingredient. "Like other types of oils, safflower oil is used in hair care products (or on its own), to soften, protect and moisturize hair. Safflower oil is used to revive dry, lifeless hair."
Safflower oil is an ingredient found in a number of my products so this leads me to believe that this ingredient is not the cause of my irritation.  Next, I looked for grapefruit and cedarwood oils.  Grapefruit essential oil was listed in only one other product that I have and it was  the 3rd ingredient from the end of the list; a pretty insignificant amount.  The next ingredient, cedarwood, wasn't listed on any other products that I own.  This leads me to believe that this could be a possible cause for my irritation.  Since cedarwood essential oil is new to me a did a quick search to see what facts I could find out about it.

 

Uses

Cedarwood oil benefits the skin by its sedating ability which relieves itching. Its astringent action is great for acne, oily skin, as well as for hair and dandruff. It helps with chest and urinary infections, acts as a general tonic and has a pronounced effect on mucus membranes.It has a calming and soothing effect on the mind and is of great help in conditions associated with anxiety and nervous tension. It is also of value in cases of arthritis and rheumatism.

 

Precautions

In high concentration, cedarwood oil may irritate the skin and it should be avoided in pregnancy.

Noting the placement of cedarwood on the ingredients list for the Jane Carter's Scalp Nourishing Serum I will make the unscientific assumption that there is a good amount of this oil in the mixture.  Maybe the amount is too much for my scalp and therefore it irritated my skin.  Always a possibility...

In the end, it is good to note the ingredients in any product you use.  Also, if a product is not working for you stop using it. I've since stopped using this product and my scalp has healed nicely. As I stated in Part 1 of this blog, I am, by no means, telling anyone not to use Jane Carter products.  I am just sharing MY experience. I am sure there are plenty of people who are benefiting from this product and I wish I was one of them.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and please subscribe :)
Peace & Blessings...
Natural4Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment