Monday, November 14, 2011

DIY

Last week I was leaving the restroom and a woman I'd never met before stopped me to tell me how great my hair looked.  She was more excited about my hair than I was.  This made me feel good because I was working on Day 5 of my style:  a wash n' go that transformed into finger coils by the end of the week.  She loved it so much and asked if it was professionally done.  I explained to her that I got my BC done professionally but I usually do my own styling.  For the most part I go to a professional for a cut or trim.  I attribute my ability to style my own hair to my mother.  Growing up we rarely went to a salon.  If we did, we'd pay close attention to how the style was done and then we would try to mimic the style when it was time to do our hair again.  My mom was never afraid to try it herself and she transferred that to me.  I'm not afraid of my hair.  I would say that we have that DIY (Do It Yourself) mentality. Beyond hair, my whole family is the DIY family.  

I feel it is important for me to pass this on to the next generation and that would be my son.  If I had a little girl I would do the same, but I think this is equally important for my son.  Although I don't have a lot of hair to deal with I hope to teach my son how to take care of the hair he does rock.  I wash his hair at least once a week or more depending on how hard he plays indoors and out. I wash his hair with Carol's Daughter Tui Moisturizing Shampoo and I condition with the Tui Hair Smoothie.  I oil his hair as needed with the Carol's Daughter Lisa's Hair Elixir and use the Carol's Daughter Marguerite's Magic as his daily hairdress.  Yes, I know Carol's Daughter can be expensive but that is what I use on my hair at times too.  I figure if it is good enough for me and safe for my child then it is good enough for my child too. In the mornings I begin by spraying his hair with plain water or my water mixture (water/Aloe Vera juice/olive oil) and then I will proceed with the oil and hairdress.  My son is young and may not appreciate how I am taking care of his hair now but I hope that this habit/routine will one day be instilled in him.  I want him to take pride in the way he looks and take care of himself.  It really bugs me when I see parents looking dressed to the 9s and their child is looking raggedy.  This goes for hair as well.  I hate seeing the parents hair (mom's in particular) fried, dyed and laid to the side and then her daughter's hair is looking like "who done it."  If you can do your hair you can do your daughter's hair!  If you know you can't do your daughters hair find someone who can do it for you or even teach you how to do it yourself.....OK, that was my personal opinion/rant and I'm not going to apologize for it.  

The point I am trying to make is to take care of your child's hair the way you take care of yours.  If your child sees you appreciating your hair and also taking the necessary steps to help them, then hopefully they will grow to love and appreciate their own hair as well.




Below are pics of the products I use on my hair and my son's hair.  

Carol's Daughter Products

Ingredients for water mixture
Tui Moisturizing Shampoo
8.0 fl oz
regular price: $13.00 
Qty.
Tui Moisturizing Hair Smoothie
8.0 oz
regular price: $20.00
Lisa's Hair Elixir
8.0 fl oz
regular price: $20.00
Marguerite's Magic
8.0 oz
regular price: $17.00
Water
Free
Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice
16.0 oz
suggested retail price: $4.75
Olive Oil
price depends on the brand and amount you choose.
 


Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and please follow :)

Peace and Blessings......

Natural4Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment